Dupage County Lawyers

Kendall County Marital Property Division Lawyers


Property division can be one of the most heated topics related to divorce. No matter what the duration of the marriage, it is important that property is divided fairly. The attorneys at Wolfe & Stec, Ltd., have extensive experience in handling complicated divorce and property division issues.

Marital And Non-Marital Property

It is important for any couple going through a divorce to understand the difference between marital and non-marital property:

  • Marital property – Any property a spouse or couple acquires during marriage is classified as marital property. According to these rules, marriage begins the day of the wedding.
  • Non-marital property – Non-marital property is classified as any property an individual acquired before marriage, and subsequently brought into the marriage.

There are certain exceptions to both marital and non-marital property. For example, gifts or inheritances may be classified as part of one spouse’s estate and not the other’s. Also, certain non-marital property can be converted to marital property during the marriage or during the divorce. Our attorneys can explain how marital and non-marital property laws apply to your divorce.

Property To Divide

Dividing property during a divorce can be complicated. In certain cases, one spouse may have hidden assets. When a spouse is self-employed, for example, it may be more difficult to divide property. Our attorneys can assist clients in even the most complex marital property issues.

We can assist clients in handling asset and debt division, including the proper valuation and allocation of the following types of property:

  • Houses
  • Bank accounts
  • Automobiles
  • Retirement funds
  • Other financial assets (IRAs, stocks, bonds, etc.)
  • Worker’s compensation awards
  • Personal injury awards
  • Medical malpractice awards

Contact Us

To schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced property division lawyers, contact us online or call us at 630-305-0222 or 312-388-7882.